National Defense Authorization Act Protest Scheduled: Occupy Movement & Tea Party Join Together on Monday 13 February 2012 to Demand We Undo NDAA
Oregon Conservatives and Liberals Join to Protest NDAA (National Defense Authorization Act of Fiscal Year 2012)
EVENT DATE: Monday, 13 February 2012, Noon-1pm PST
PLACE: Vogel Plaza, Central Ave & Main St, Medford OR
MEDFORD, OREGON – On Monday 13 February 2012 at Noon in Vogel Plaza there will be a demonstration against the passing of the NDAA, including Wake Up America Southern Oregon, and Occupy Coalition of Ashland, Medford, and Grants Pass, as well as concerned individuals across the political spectrum.
The indefinite detention clauses (sections 1021 and 1022) within this year’s National Defense Authorization Act (signed into law 31 December 2011) are a direct attack upon the civil rights of all Americans, and represent another step taken toward eroding the freedoms which lay at the foundation of our society.
The detention sections of the NDAA begin by “affirm[ing]” that the authority of the President under the Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF), a joint resolution passed in the immediate aftermath of the September 11th 2001 attacks, includes the power to detain, via the Armed Forces, any person “who was part of or substantially supported al-Qaeda, the Taliban, or associated forces that are engaged in hostilities against the United States or its coalition partners,” and anyone who commits a “belligerent act” against the U.S. or its coalition allies in aid of such enemy forces, under the law of war, “without trial, until the end of the hostilities…”. The text also authorizes trial by military tribunal, or “transfer to the custody or control of the person’s country of origin,” or transfer to “any other foreign country, or any other foreign entity.”
After signing the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012 into law, President Obama issued a statement on it that addressed “certain provisions that regulate the detention, interrogation, and prosecution of terrorism suspects.” In the statement Obama maintained that “the legislation does nothing more than confirm authorities that the Federal courts have recognized as lawful under the 2001 AUMF. I want to clarify that my Administration will not authorize the indefinite military detention without trial of American citizens.” The only provision from which U.S. citizens are exempted here is the “requirement” of military detention. For foreign nationals accused of being members of Al Qaeda, military detention is mandatory; for U.S. citizens, it is optional. This section does not exempt U.S citizens from the presidential power of detention [by the military OR civilian agencies such as the CIA/DHS/FBI etc.]: only from the requirement of military detention.
A demonstration uniting groups and individuals from across the political spectrum will be held on the 13th to show that united we can begin to stand up to the problems which face us as a nation and a people. Please join us in standing up for justice and freedom.
Gil Gilbertson – Josephine County Sheriff, http://www.jocosheriff.us
Joseph Snook – Wake Up America, http://www.usobserver.com/wua/wua.html
Ben Playfaire – Occupy Medford, http://facebook.com/occupymedford
Linda Sturgeon – Occupy Ashland, http://www.occupyashlandoregon.org
Jeff Golden – Immense Possibilities as seen on SOPTV, http://www.immensepossibilities.org
“A group full of conservatives, Libertarians, and Tea-party members by the name of Wake Up America Southern Oregon is proud to unite with the Southern Oregon Occupy Movement to take a Bold Stand against the National Defense Authorization Act known as the NDAA. Further, it is time that ‘We the People’, all of us unite!” – Joseph Snook, Wake Up America Southern Oregon
“Occupy Ashland is standing with libertarians, progressives, conservatives and the Tea-Party alike to speak out against the attack against our civil rights which is the National Defense Authorization Act. In times such as these, when the injustices of a system and a government become too large to ignore, it is vital that we stand together not as members of a political party but as fellow citizens and human beings to defend our precious freedoms.” – Emery Way Occupy
Cross-Partisan Concern about NDAA includes:
Jeff Landry (R-La) “The NDAA … includes provisions which allow the President to hold any individual associated with terrorist forces in “detention under the law of war without trial until the end of hostilities.” While these provisions do mention certain protections for American citizens, the language defining these exemptions could be interpreted a number of ways – some good and some providing no protection of our rights.” http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/civil-rights/209527-rep-jeff-landry-r-la
ACLU: “The statute is particularly dangerous because it has no temporal or geographic limitations, and can be used by this and future presidents to militarily detain people captured far from any battlefield.” http://www.aclu.org/blog/tag/NDAA
http://youtu.be/KDsKApesG3Y Senator Jeff Merkley: Why he voted against the NDAA
http://youtu.be/us4lcKPoTkk The Final Loss of Freedom in the United States
Occupy Medford on Facebook: http://facebook.com/occupymedford
Occupy Medford on Twitter: http://twitter.com/occupymedford
Occupy Medford on Youtube: http://youtube.com/occupymedford
NO MORE LEFT. NO MORE RIGHT. TIME TO UNITE. STAND AND FIGHT!
Tag: #ndaa, #teaparty, #ows, #medford, #fascism, #worldwarweb, #vvvpr
Search Google News for “National Defense Authorization Act”. NeoCon Heritage Stimson Lies on top? Think about that.
This document may contain links shortened using http://tinyurl.com to facilitate emailing. If you are concerned that we would use them to cloak phishing or malware, you should open them with this: http://longurl.org. Also our thanks to the miami beach website design, miami beach website designer and miami beach website developer who support our efforts.
- 6/6: PLS tweet Senate Armd Svcs Cmte Members & Demand Repeal of #AUMF 2001: @DavidVitter @RoyBlunt @SenMikeLee 1 month ago
- 5/6: PLS tweet Senate Armd Svcs Cmte Members & Demand Repeal of #AUMF 2001: @SaxbyChambliss @SenatorWicker @KellyAyotte @SenatorFischer 1 month ago
- 4/6: PLS tweet Senate Armd Svcs Cmte Members & Demand Repeal of #AUMF 2001: @SenAngusKing @jiminhofe @SenTedCruz @SenatorSessions 1 month ago
- 3/6: PLS tweet Senate Armd Svcs Cmte Members & Demand Repeal of #AUMF 2001: @SenBlumenthal @SenDonnelly @maziehirono @timkaine 1 month ago
- 2/6: PLS tweet Senate Armd Svcs Cmte Members & Demand Repeal of #AUMF 2001: @SenatorHagan @Sen_JoeManchin @SenatorShaheen @SenGillibrand 1 month ago
Corporate Greed Chronicles
- AUMF Hunger Strike Enters Day 50
- Boston Marathon Scare: Our Terrorism Abroad Washes Back Ashore
- AUMF Hunger Strike Enters 15th Day
- Authorization for Use of Military Force … On YOU
- “The 99%” Redefined: 99 Percent of Americans Know Little About the Dangers of AUMF 2001 & NDAA 2012
- AUMF Hunger Strike Called to Demand Repeal of 2001 Authorization for Use of Military Force
- AUMF 2001 Imperial Presidency Is The Disease. NDAA 2012 Indefinite Detention Is Only One Symptom.
- AUMF: Authorization for Use of Military Force For Grandparents
- Repeal AUMF Now! 16 Slides To Show You Why. 16 Steps To Tell You How.
- Repeal AUMF: H.R. 198 Repeal of the Authorization for Use of Military Force
- NDAA 2013: Drones, Permanent War And Indefinite Detention Without Charge Or Trial For American Citizens On American Soil
- Time Magazine Selects Mass Murderer As Person Of The Year 2012
- Gun Control? Let’s Make That Weapons Control.
- 2012 Voter Guide for Demopublicans and Republicrats
- Trapwire: Spying On YOU. Predicting YOUR Moves.
- Parents of Multi-Chem Marketing Coordinator In Fight Against Halliburton Fracking?
- NDAA 2012 Update: Odrona Demands Dismissal Of Section 1021 Injunction
- Dissent Without Permission: Will Protest Permits & Free Speech Zones Halt Or Hasten Rebellion?
- Multi-Chem: Less Bragging About Fracking?
- Divide and Conquer in America – 2012! (A Poem of Protest by a 74-Year-Old Great-Grandmother)
- World War Web Advisory #8: Odrona The Indefinite Detainer Issues Internet Executive Order (#EPCF)
- Multi-Chem & The Insanity Of Letting The Frackers Do It Again
- Project Mayhem 2012: Re-Evolution Or New Age Ghost Dance?
- Who Benefits from Obamacare? Democrats, Republicans & the Corporations that Control Both Parties.
- SCOTUS Obamacare Decision Makes Individual Mandate A Fact & Universal Healthcare Coverage A Fiction
- Many American Bikers Suffer From Sensenbrenner Syndrome. Do You?
- Baluchistan: Next Stop In Corporate Fascist Amerika’s War-For-Profit Tour?
- TPP FTA (TPPA): Trans-Pacific Partnership Free Trade Agreement Subordinates Nations (And People) To Corporations
- Undeserved: Bushbamney’s Nobel Peace Prize, Peres’ Medal of Freedom, Sarsak’s Starvation in Indefinite Detention
- Amerika: Neither Land of the Free Nor Home of the Brave
- NDAA 2012 Codified Indefinite Detention. Now NDAA 2013 Legalizes Domestic Propaganda.
- Julian Assange in Court on Wednesday … Hillary Clinton in Sweden on Sunday … Rally4JA 5/30-31!
- Americans Have Three Choices In November: Bushbamney, Third-Party or Nobody
- Owned & Operated + The Point & Why We Must Get To It
- Seven Ways Apple Is Fleecing The American Sheeple
- Is AT&T U-verse Serving The People Or Fleecing The Sheeple?
- Occupy Bohemian Grove: State of the Counterculture Union Address 2012 by Dr. Ryan Bartek
- Is 99% Spring Co-Opting Occupy Wall Street Into The Corporate-Controlled Two-Party System?
- World War Web Advisory #7: Anonymous Has Been Occupied
- JOBS Act of 2012: Will H.R. 3606 Jumpstart Our Business Startups Or Open The Crowdfunding Fraud Floodgates?
- Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas Advises We Must End Too Big to Fail – Now!
- World War Web Advisory #6: NSA Big Brother Utah Data Center To Achieve “Total Information Awareness” By September 2013
- “WMDs in Iraq: Oh My!” Said Bush to BFF Blair in ’03. “ICBMs in Iran: Oh No!” Says Obama to BFF Cameron in ’12.
- If You Vote in Elections or Sign Online Petitions, Are You Making a Difference or Wasting Your Time?
- One Percenter Erin Burnett: OutFront Corporate Fascist and Iran War Drumbeater
- Outlawing the Occupy Movement: H.R. 347 Makes Free Speech A Felony
- In Post-NDAA Amerika, What is a Terrorist and Who Can Make You Disappear by Calling You One?
- Fascism Anyone? The 14 Defining Characteristics of Fascism by Dr. Lawrence Britt
- World War Web Advisory #5: CyberWar: First SOPA/PIPA/PCIPA/S2105, Now HR2096/HR3523/HR3674/S1152/S2111