In Post-NDAA Amerika, What is a Terrorist and Who Can Make You Disappear by Calling You One?
IN POST NDAA AMERIKA, WHAT IS A TERRORIST AND WHO CAN MAKE YOU DISAPPEAR BY CALLING YOU ONE?
Since corporate fascist puppet president Barack Obama signed the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012 into law this past New Year’s Eve (NDAA: Public Law 112-81), the powers of indefinite detention claimed under the post-9/11 Authorization for Use of Military Force Act (AUMF: Public Law 107-40) have been codified. Now the mere suspicion of being a “terrorist” is sufficient grounds for an American citizen – on American soil – to be arrested and detained indefinitely without charge or trial. Obvious questions of constitutionality aside, this should prompt at least the cautious to ask questions like the following:
1. What is the legal definition of “terrorist”?
2. Who can make you disappear by calling you one?
To answer the first question, we searched the online version of the United States Code – “the codification of the general and permanent laws of the United States” – for a definition of “terrorist”. And to our amazement, we didn’t find one. Over 400 references to “terrorist” in the USC, yes. But a specific definition, no. What we did find is this:
Title 8 Section 1182(a)(3)(B) defines “terrorist activity” but not “terrorist”:
(iii) “Terrorist activity” defined As used in this chapter, the term “terrorist activity” means any activity which is unlawful under the laws of the place where it is committed (or which, if it had been committed in the United States, would be unlawful under the laws of the United States or any State) and which involves any of the following: (I) The highjacking or sabotage of any conveyance (including an aircraft, vessel, or vehicle). (II) The seizing or detaining, and threatening to kill, injure, or continue to detain, another individual in order to compel a third person (including a governmental organization) to do or abstain from doing any act as an explicit or implicit condition for the release of the individual seized or detained. (III) A violent attack upon an internationally protected person (as defined in section 1116(b)(4) of title 18) or upon the liberty of such a person. (IV) An assassination. (V) The use of any – (a) biological agent, chemical agent, or nuclear weapon or device, or (b) explosive, firearm, or other weapon or dangerous device (other than for mere personal monetary gain), with intent to endanger, directly or indirectly, the safety of one or more individuals or to cause substantial damage to property. (VI) A threat, attempt, or conspiracy to do any of the foregoing. (iv) “Engage in terrorist activity” defined As used in this chapter, the term “engage in terrorist activity” means, in an individual capacity or as a member of an organization – (I) to commit or to incite to commit, under circumstances indicating an intention to cause death or serious bodily injury, a terrorist activity; (II) to prepare or plan a terrorist activity; (III) to gather information on potential targets for terrorist activity; (IV) to solicit funds or other things of value for – (aa) a terrorist activity; (bb) a terrorist organization described in clause (vi)(I) or (vi)(II); or (cc) a terrorist organization described in clause (vi)(III), unless the solicitor can demonstrate by clear and convincing evidence that he did not know, and should not reasonably have known, that the organization was a terrorist organization;
(V) to solicit any individual – (aa) to engage in conduct otherwise described in this subsection; (bb) for membership in a terrorist organization described in clause (vi)(I) or (vi)(II); or (cc) for membership in a terrorist organization described in clause (vi)(III) unless the solicitor can demonstrate by clear and convincing evidence that he did not know, and should not reasonably have known, that the organization was a terrorist organization; or
(VI) to commit an act that the actor knows, or reasonably should know, affords material support, including a safe house, transportation, communications, funds, transfer of funds or other material financial benefit, false documentation or identification, weapons (including chemical, biological, or radiological weapons), explosives, or training – (aa) for the commission of a terrorist activity; (bb) to any individual who the actor knows, or reasonably should know, has committed or plans to commit a terrorist activity; (cc) to a terrorist organization described in subclause (I) or (II) of clause (vi) or to any member of such an organization; or (dd) to a terrorist organization described in clause (vi)(III), or to any member of such an organization, unless the actor can demonstrate by clear and convincing evidence that the actor did not know, and should not reasonably have known, that the organization was a terrorist organization. (v) “Representative” defined As used in this paragraph, the term “representative” includes an officer, official, or spokesman of an organization, and any person who directs, counsels, commands, or induces an organization or its members to engage in terrorist activity. (vi) “Terrorist organization” defined As used in this section, the term “terrorist organization” means an organization – (I) designated under section 1189 of this title; (II) otherwise designated, upon publication in the Federal Register, by the Secretary of State in consultation with or upon the request of the Attorney General or the Secretary of Homeland Security, as a terrorist organization, after finding that the organization engages in the activities described in subclauses (I) through (VI) of clause (iv); or (III) that is a group of two or more individuals, whether organized or not, which engages in, or has a subgroup which engages in, the activities described in subclauses (I) through (VI) of clause (iv).
Title 18 Section 2331 defines “international terrorism” and “domestic terrorism” [READ CLOSELY] but not “terrorist”:
As used in this chapter- (1) the term “international terrorism” means activities that- (A) involve violent acts or acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State, or that would be a criminal violation if committed within the jurisdiction of the United States or of any State; (B) appear to be intended- (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and (C) occur primarily outside the territorial jurisdiction of the United States, or transcend national boundaries in terms of the means by which they are accomplished, the persons they appear intended to intimidate or coerce, or the locale in which their perpetrators operate or seek asylum; (2) the term “national of the United States” has the meaning given such term in section 101(a)(22) of the Immigration and Nationality Act; (3) the term “person” means any individual or entity capable of holding a legal or beneficial interest in property; (4) the term “act of war” means any act occurring in the course of- (A) declared war; (B) armed conflict, whether or not war has been declared, between two or more nations; or (C) armed conflict between military forces of any origin; and (5) the term “domestic terrorism” means activities that- (A) involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State; (B) appear to be intended- (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and (C) occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States.
Title 22 Section 2656f(d) defines “international terrorism”, “terrorism”, “terrorist group” and “terrorist sanctuary” but not “terrorist”:
(d) Definitions As used in this section- (1) the term “international terrorism” means terrorism involving citizens or the territory of more than 1 country; (2) the term “terrorism” means premeditated, politically motivated violence perpetrated against noncombatant targets by subnational groups or clandestine agents; (3) the term “terrorist group” means any group practicing, or which has significant subgroups which practice, international terrorism; (4) the terms “territory” and “territory of the country” mean the land, waters, and airspace of the country; and (5) the terms “terrorist sanctuary” and “sanctuary” mean an area in the territory of the country- (A) that is used by a terrorist or terrorist organization- (i) to carry out terrorist activities, including training, fundraising, financing, and recruitment; or (ii) as a transit point; and (B) the government of which expressly consents to, or with knowledge, allows, tolerates, or disregards such use of its territory and is not subject to a determination under- (i) section 2405(j)(1)(A) of the Appendix to title 50; (ii) section 2371 (a) of this title; or (iii) section 2780 (d) of this title.
I’m no attorney and I don’t play one on television. But after reading the above, it seems to me that the short answer to the question “What is the legal definition of terrorist?” is “That depends.”
Now on to the second question: Who can make you disappear by calling you one?
According to the Washington Post’s TOP SECRET AMERICA project, there are “45 government organizations (for example, the FBI) engaged in top-secret work [that can] be broken down into 1,271 sub-units (for example, the Terrorist Screening Center of the FBI).” I’m pretty sure they can. But they also mention “4,058 government organizations involved in domestic counterterrorism and homeland security” including 2,880 federal organizations that work at the state level, such as the FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Forces (JTTFs), plus 818 state and 360 local organizations. I’m pretty sure they can, too. And then of course there’s the “1,931 companies engaged in top-secret work for the government.” I’d wager some or all of them can, as well.
And that’s not all. We also have to consider the Nationwide Suspicious Activity Reporting Initiative (NSI):
Using NaSI SARs (Suspicious Activity Reports), just about anyone can drop the dime the makes you disappear: a hateful former spouse, a jealous or jilted lover, that co-worker you’re always competing with, or maybe just a nosey neighbor. All they have to do is fill out one of these forms and click “Submit”:
Our thanks to the OccupyWallSt.org Forum and Reddit r/Politics posters who contributed to the research for this release:
NO MORE LEFT. NO MORE RIGHT. TIME TO UNITE. STAND AND FIGHT!
Tag: #terrorist, #terrorists, #terrorism, #aumf, #ndaa, #bigbrother, #fascism, #fascist, #fascists, #ows, #vvvpr
We sometimes use links shortened with http://tinyurl.com to so they don’t break in emails. If you actually think we would use them to cloak phishing or malware, open them with this: http://longurl.org. We also want to thank the website design miami, website designer miami and website developer miami who support our efforts.
- 6/6: PLS tweet Senate Armd Svcs Cmte Members & Demand Repeal of #AUMF 2001: @DavidVitter @RoyBlunt @SenMikeLee 1 month ago
- 5/6: PLS tweet Senate Armd Svcs Cmte Members & Demand Repeal of #AUMF 2001: @SaxbyChambliss @SenatorWicker @KellyAyotte @SenatorFischer 1 month ago
- 4/6: PLS tweet Senate Armd Svcs Cmte Members & Demand Repeal of #AUMF 2001: @SenAngusKing @jiminhofe @SenTedCruz @SenatorSessions 1 month ago
- 3/6: PLS tweet Senate Armd Svcs Cmte Members & Demand Repeal of #AUMF 2001: @SenBlumenthal @SenDonnelly @maziehirono @timkaine 1 month ago
- 2/6: PLS tweet Senate Armd Svcs Cmte Members & Demand Repeal of #AUMF 2001: @SenatorHagan @Sen_JoeManchin @SenatorShaheen @SenGillibrand 1 month ago
Corporate Greed Chronicles
- AUMF Hunger Strike Enters Day 50
- Boston Marathon Scare: Our Terrorism Abroad Washes Back Ashore
- AUMF Hunger Strike Enters 15th Day
- Authorization for Use of Military Force … On YOU
- “The 99%” Redefined: 99 Percent of Americans Know Little About the Dangers of AUMF 2001 & NDAA 2012
- AUMF Hunger Strike Called to Demand Repeal of 2001 Authorization for Use of Military Force
- AUMF 2001 Imperial Presidency Is The Disease. NDAA 2012 Indefinite Detention Is Only One Symptom.
- AUMF: Authorization for Use of Military Force For Grandparents
- Repeal AUMF Now! 16 Slides To Show You Why. 16 Steps To Tell You How.
- Repeal AUMF: H.R. 198 Repeal of the Authorization for Use of Military Force
- NDAA 2013: Drones, Permanent War And Indefinite Detention Without Charge Or Trial For American Citizens On American Soil
- Time Magazine Selects Mass Murderer As Person Of The Year 2012
- Gun Control? Let’s Make That Weapons Control.
- 2012 Voter Guide for Demopublicans and Republicrats
- Trapwire: Spying On YOU. Predicting YOUR Moves.
- Parents of Multi-Chem Marketing Coordinator In Fight Against Halliburton Fracking?
- NDAA 2012 Update: Odrona Demands Dismissal Of Section 1021 Injunction
- Dissent Without Permission: Will Protest Permits & Free Speech Zones Halt Or Hasten Rebellion?
- Multi-Chem: Less Bragging About Fracking?
- Divide and Conquer in America – 2012! (A Poem of Protest by a 74-Year-Old Great-Grandmother)
- World War Web Advisory #8: Odrona The Indefinite Detainer Issues Internet Executive Order (#EPCF)
- Multi-Chem & The Insanity Of Letting The Frackers Do It Again
- Project Mayhem 2012: Re-Evolution Or New Age Ghost Dance?
- Who Benefits from Obamacare? Democrats, Republicans & the Corporations that Control Both Parties.
- SCOTUS Obamacare Decision Makes Individual Mandate A Fact & Universal Healthcare Coverage A Fiction
- Many American Bikers Suffer From Sensenbrenner Syndrome. Do You?
- Baluchistan: Next Stop In Corporate Fascist Amerika’s War-For-Profit Tour?
- TPP FTA (TPPA): Trans-Pacific Partnership Free Trade Agreement Subordinates Nations (And People) To Corporations
- Undeserved: Bushbamney’s Nobel Peace Prize, Peres’ Medal of Freedom, Sarsak’s Starvation in Indefinite Detention
- Amerika: Neither Land of the Free Nor Home of the Brave
- NDAA 2012 Codified Indefinite Detention. Now NDAA 2013 Legalizes Domestic Propaganda.
- Julian Assange in Court on Wednesday … Hillary Clinton in Sweden on Sunday … Rally4JA 5/30-31!
- Americans Have Three Choices In November: Bushbamney, Third-Party or Nobody
- Owned & Operated + The Point & Why We Must Get To It
- Seven Ways Apple Is Fleecing The American Sheeple
- Is AT&T U-verse Serving The People Or Fleecing The Sheeple?
- Occupy Bohemian Grove: State of the Counterculture Union Address 2012 by Dr. Ryan Bartek
- Is 99% Spring Co-Opting Occupy Wall Street Into The Corporate-Controlled Two-Party System?
- World War Web Advisory #7: Anonymous Has Been Occupied
- JOBS Act of 2012: Will H.R. 3606 Jumpstart Our Business Startups Or Open The Crowdfunding Fraud Floodgates?
- Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas Advises We Must End Too Big to Fail – Now!
- World War Web Advisory #6: NSA Big Brother Utah Data Center To Achieve “Total Information Awareness” By September 2013
- “WMDs in Iraq: Oh My!” Said Bush to BFF Blair in ’03. “ICBMs in Iran: Oh No!” Says Obama to BFF Cameron in ’12.
- If You Vote in Elections or Sign Online Petitions, Are You Making a Difference or Wasting Your Time?
- One Percenter Erin Burnett: OutFront Corporate Fascist and Iran War Drumbeater
- Outlawing the Occupy Movement: H.R. 347 Makes Free Speech A Felony
- In Post-NDAA Amerika, What is a Terrorist and Who Can Make You Disappear by Calling You One?
- Fascism Anyone? The 14 Defining Characteristics of Fascism by Dr. Lawrence Britt
- World War Web Advisory #5: CyberWar: First SOPA/PIPA/PCIPA/S2105, Now HR2096/HR3523/HR3674/S1152/S2111